This position has been filled.
The Faculty of Humanities, vacancy 13-360
The Leiden University Centre for Linguistics
LUCL is one of the institutes of the Faculty of Humanities, Leiden University, is hosting a research programme entitled “The Linguistic Past of Mesoamerica and the Andes: A search for early migratory relations between North and South America” funded by the European Research Council (ERC Advanced Grant). This programme focuses on the identification of linguistic, genetic and archaeological relations between Mesoamerica and the Middle Andes before European contact. It is conducted in collaboration with the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig (Germany).
As of February 2014 (or 1 June 2014 at the latest) we are looking for:
A postdoctoral researcher in interdisciplinary genetics-linguistics (1.0 fte, 3 years)
Vacancy numer: 13-360
Leiden University has a longstanding tradition in research in the world’s languages and features unique linguistic expertise. LUCL combines current theoretical insights and modern experimental methods in its research profile area ‘Language Diversity in the World’.
The candidate should have:
- PhD in human population genetics or equivalent or closely related field.
- Molecular genetics laboratory experience is essential.
- Experience with genetic field research is desirable.
- Familiarity with literature on human population genetics of the Americas.
- Elementary knowledge of Spanish is considered a qualification.
- Ability to work independently.
Duties and responsibilities
- Contribute to the assessment of linguistic, archaeological and human population genetics perspectives on the migration to the Americas, as well as subsequent migrations of human groups within the Americas. Two research outcomes, in particular, are expected:
- one being a genetic study of the Purépecha, a Mesoamerican group often suspected to have connections to South America,
- the other being the development of a database of genetic distances among Native American groups, to be correlated with linguistic distances provided by other project members.
- For laboratory work and general collaboration arrangements are to be negotiated with Prof. Dr. Peter de Knijff (Leiden University Medical Center) and/or Prof. Dr. Mark Stoneking (Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig).
- Although the post-doc will be hosted by LUCL, periodic visits to the MPI-EVA in Leipzig are envisaged.
What we offer
The position is for three years with a full-time appointment. Initially the employee will receive a one year contract. Salary range from gross € 2.427,- to € 3.831,- per month (pay scale 10), commensurate with qualifications, with additional holiday and end-of-year bonuses. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
For further information on this project please contact: Prof. Dr. Willem Adelaar, w.f.h.adelaarhum.leidenuniv.nl or on practical matters Marianne Boere, m.a.boerehum.leidenuniv.nl.
Language Diversity in the World: http://www.research.leiden.edu/research-profiles/language-diversity/.
How to apply
Applicants are kindly requested to submit the following documents electronically (in English):
- A letter stating your motivation for the position
- Curriculum vitae
- References: the names of two persons whom we may contact for further information.
- Copies of your academic transcripts
- Copy of your PhD thesis and other relevant publications in English that is representative for your research qualities
Please submit these documents in two files:
I – containing documents 1 to 4 ( PDF or Word file,) using your last name underscore 1 as document name (e.g. BROWN_1.pdf).
II – containing document 5 (PDF or Word file), using your last name underscore 2 as document name (e.g. BROWN_2.pdf).
If the documents are not in the requested format, the application will not be taken into account.
Applicants should submit their application (documents as described above) before 3 January 2014. Applications should be sent to vacaturesluclhum.leidenuniv.nl, clearly indicating the application number. The selection procedure will take place in January and selected candidates will be invited for an interview in the second half of January or in February. You are kindly requested to be available in this period.
Acquisition following this advertisement is not appreciated.